The gardens are known as the “Villa Comunale” and have been built according to a design by Luigi Rovelli from Genoa. The gardens have a rigorously geometric layout and are within a wide, rectangular site about 800m in length. A perimetral tree-lined boulevard runs all around, enriched by flowerbeds and gravel paths. Symmetrically positioned in the inner area are two wide, round ponds - each with a stone surround and a central single-spout fountain made from volcanic tuff, pouring water into the ponds, and two additional drinking fountains.
Historical Notes The area now occupied by the public gardens and its surroundings were probably, starting from the Middle Ages, an area of vegetable gardens with a few scattered houses. On May 4th 1867, the city council decided to designate the area in front of the cathedral, which had always been a marginal area in the urban development of the city, as the perfect location for the new city gardens - able to fulfil the modern requirement for an open promenade area. At that time, the city council expropriated the land and levelled the whole area. The site was then planted with different species of plants and a few service structures were installed. Centrally, an “orchestra” podium was erected for use by the citizens’ band - a podium still used during the festivities for the patron saint San Panfilo.