The gate opens along the western section of the second wall, which by the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the next century was extended to include within its perimeter the villages which had sprung up near the earlier circle and - specifically - the village of Sant 'Agata.
It replaced the function of Porta Filiamabili, which still exists, and which had previously closed the old centre of the first enclosure. It inherited for a time the name of "port of the goats" - one of many that the gate took over the centuries - and, in the 17th century, it was also called gate of the Crucifix.
The top section, after falling out of use as permanent housing for the city’s Guard Corps, was in private use, perhaps in the early 18th century, initially unauthorised and then later with an annual rent to the Municipality.
According to a decurial decision from 1816, Domenico Granata, manager of the town’s ancient paper mill, was permitted to use this portion of the gate as his home for the payment of two quires of paper and the right to affix his crest, consisting of three grenades, above the arch. An act to remove the family crest was subsequenly issued and four years later the annual fee was extended to eight ducats. Nevertheless the crest is still in situ. The earthquake of 1706 caused the collapse of the adjacent tower and presumably also damaged the door, which was lowered at this time perhaps with the insertion of a bezel.