The gate opens along the eastern section of the second wall, which by the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the next century had been extended to include within its perimeter the villages which had developed near the earlier circle - specifically here, that of the Borgo Pacentrano, in whose extreme southern area this access opens.
Scholars disagree about its date. One theory accepts as plausible the date of 1755 as is shown on an emblem which is affixed above the gate. This date suggests that it was opened after the earthquake of 1706, presumably around the middle of the century.
There is a different opinion by Hogenberg who detected, in an engraving from 1572-1618 which depicts the town of Sulmona, the existence of a smaller access that opened in Borgo Pacentrano, represented to the east of Porta Nuova - the current Porta Napoli. This might in fact be this gate - giving credence to the possibility of its existence in a previous era.