The gate opens along the western section of the city’s second wall, just down the road and alongside the church from which it takes its name. At the beginning of the 14th century, the village was one of a number to be included within the growing city of Sulmona through the expansion of the circle of the ancient walls.
It does not appear in the views of the ancient city, but is mentioned in the Ritual Rogation in the Archive of the Cathedral of St. Panfilo. In the past it has also been called Porta Piscitelli and, in the 18th century, Porta Petrella, probably named after the curate of the nearby church, Domenico Petrella who lived nearby.
More infoThe gate, originally built in the 14th century, now exhibits a 17th century style that it is much changed compared to its origins.
It shows a round arch, filled-in with a lunette which has been frescoed internally with a scene of the Deposition. The work is signed by the Sulmona artist Vincenzo Conti and is dated 1808. These elements emerged during a recent restoration that has enabled us to read the work and precisely define the iconography.
The inclusion of the lunette has transformed the original arched opening into a rectangular shape, consisting of stone block piers ending in support brackets and wooden architrave.
The surface is coated with a layer of plaster which also features on the adjacent building to which the access way was attached. The building which before becoming church property, was used for private, residential purposes, still exists.
The building which probably changed after the earthquake of 1706, still encorporates the barrel vault covered walkway and the entrance leading to the guards’ quaerters above.
On the inside of the door we can still see the supports of the upper and lower hinges of the wooden doors that once closed the city gate.