This small and elegant building belonged to the noble Sardi family, originally from Sardinia. They subsequenly settled first in Pisa, then in Naples, and moved to Sulmona during the 15th century following an appointment as bishop of the local diocese.
The house was probably built or acquired around 1420 and then restored and enlarged, as we can see by the date 1477 deliberately carved into the lintel of a window by Giovanni, nephew of the bishop.
Renovated several times over the years, the house has nevertheless retained its original architecture as a typical example of a private building of the 15th century, particularly linked to the Tuscan Renaissance and late Gothic culture. This can also be seen from the use of architectural and decorative elements which were established in the Kingdom of Naples during the Durazzo period .
Exterior The front stone elevation of the building, has a Durazzo style door, which was very common in the 15th century architecture of southern Italy. It is characterized by a framed, flatttened arch with decorative diamond studs. It particularly resembles other examples in the city such as at Palazzo Merolini and Palazzo Giovanni delle Palle.
At the top there is a large Guelph window in the shape of a cross - the only one of its kind in Sulmona - which is slightly off-axis to the door, with late Gothic and Renaissance motifs. The central octagonal pillar features the same mouldings as the frame and the four windows are embellished by a pair of corner ledges with scrolling supporting the upper horizontal elements.
Interior The interior is structured around a small, central, trapezoidal courtyard paved with flint. The upstairs is reached via a short staircase with a stone handrail. From here you enter the apartment on one side while the other side leads to a residential porch covered by a wooden roof. The porch is constructed of arches set on four octagonal corner columns, one of which is distinguished by the presence of a lion with the family emblem and decorative plants.
The front door of the apartment (which has been completely renovated) is surmounted by an ogival lunette containing the sculpture of the Madonna and Child between two Saints. It is partially enclosed by a rectangular stucco frame decorated with a foliage pattern as are also the door jambs and the lintel.
In an adjacent space there is a roof garden which was probably used at one time for summer banquets.